Why do we need infrastructure automation?
Datamato can help executing effective infrastructure automation by:
• Identifying and targeting right areas for orchestration and workflow automation
• Identifying repetitive tasks that are prime-candidates for automation
An effective infrastructure automation entails:
• Having complete build in one step
- Code deployment to appropriate machine
- Database setup/migration
- and others
• Rollout/Rollback deployments in one step
• Deploying applications to a new server setup without changes to the code (Infrastructure-as-code Code)
• Infrastructure-as-code (IAC) under version-control
Datamato leverages tool like IBM’s UrbanCode (Build, Deploy and Release with Patterns, CHEF etc.) for infrastructure automation.
If you need help automating your infrastructure and deployment, don’t hesitate to contact us.
We can help you with details and problems that commonly occur and we will make sure you get started very quickly.
Infrastructure as a Code
Similar to formal software design and development practices, one has to carefully control code-versions, test code-iterations and limit development until the software is proven and approved for production. Like the principle that same source-code generates the same binary, an IAC model generates the same environment every time it is applied.
One thing to look out for though is “Configuration Drift”. If administrators change server-configurations without changing IAC code, there is potential for configuration drift, which is when inconsistent configurations exist across data-centre systems. It’s important to fully integrate IAC into systems administration, IT operations and DevOps processes with well-documented policies and procedures.
Key in-built features of UrbanCode that help are:
• Can be leveraged as both provisioning as well as orchestration tool (release management)
• Rollback and redeployment of last working version on-demand
• Tracking of applications, versions and environments